- By default, Windows comes with two music players, Groove Music and Windows Media Player.
- However, if you’re here, you’re likely looking for something better than those.
- We extensively tested several freely available music players on the Internet. MusicBee topped the list!
5 Best Free Music Players With Excellent Audio Quality
How We Tested? We evaluated each free music player software for audio quality, functionality, performance, and ease of use on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free music player applications for Windows to download.
OS Compatibility – Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
You won’t find a more comprehensive free music player than MusicBee. It is the Swiss Army knife of music players designed to make your listening experience better.
- Supported Formats: MP3, AAC, M4A, WMA, WAV, FLAC, OGG, MIDI, ALAC, APE, Opus, MPC, TAK, MOD, UMX, XM, and more.
- MusicBee comes packed with 10-band and 15-band Equalizer for maximum audio quality.
- It supports 5.1 surround sound. It also supports WASAPI and ASIO for high-end audio cards.
- You can listen to music without interruption with gapless playback. Features Advanced ReplayGain for automatic volume adjustment.
- The intelligent auto-tagging system can update songs with incomplete album information. It auto downloads missing album artwork, artist photos, and song lyrics.
- The impressive AutoDJ feature can create a perfect party playlist and turn your computer into a music jukebox.
- You can change the look and feel of MusicBee by choosing various skins to your liking. Plug-ins/add-ons are available for more customization.
- It’s easy to sync your music collection with other devices you use. Also, organize your favorite podcasts, audiobooks, and radio stations.
- MusicBee can convert audio files if your device does not support certain formats. It has a built-in CD Ripper.
- The interface may feel a bit overwhelming at first.
If the idea of a lightweight music player software with a simple interface, rich audio codec support, and a clean design sounds appealing to you, then Dopamine is what you need.
- Supported Formats: MP3, MP4, WMA, OGG, FLAC, M4A, AAC, WAV, APE, OPUS, and more.
- Dopamine comes with a simple design but a fairly rich functionality.
- Sleek and stylish user interface blends in nicely with Windows. The theme is customizable as per choice.
- Easily organizes your audio collection. Sorts automatically by artist, genre, and album.
- Simple playback controls are well arranged and easy to understand.
- It is packed with a powerful built-in equalizer and has a nifty spectrum visualizer.
- The new Smart Playlist feature can create playlists based on the criteria you specify.
- You can use Dopamine to fetch lyrics from the Internet and display it while music plays.
- It includes multiple player modes, automatic updates, and Last.fm scrobbling.
- There are no advanced options for editing metadata. Can add on more features.
AIMP is a powerful and popular music player for PC with an equalizer. Its thoughtful design and carefully curated features earn it a respectable third place.
- Supported Formats: MP3, M4A, WAV, MIDI, CDA, AAC, AC3, APE, DTS, FLAC, WMA, MPC, WV, OGG, S3M, MTM, UMX, XM, WavPack, Speex, WebM, and more.
- AIMP has the best audio quality among Windows audio players. It has an impressive 18-band equalizer that comes with 22 presets by default.
- Its rich sound mixing options come from an excellent Sound Engine that features numerous built-in sound effects like Reverb, Flanger, Enhancer, and more.
- Has Volume Normalization, Replay Gain, Fade In/Fade Out, and Cross-mixing features. It supports DirectSound, ASIO, and WASAPI audio interfaces.
- AIMP makes organizing your songs a breeze. It is easy to edit tags and create playlists.
- Smart Playlist option can create something to match your mood with lesser efforts.
- It allows you to listen to Internet radio stations and also captures radio streams in real-time. It has a built-in audio converter, audio grabber, and sound recorder.
- The voice remover feature can help in making your own karaoke tracks.
- Features an alarm clock function that starts playing at a specific time. It can also shut down your PC at the end of a playlist.
- AIMP’s plugins include some real gems. Feel free to explore them.
- You will need some time to adjust to the player settings.
Launched way back in 2002, it is one of the oldest surviving Windows music players that people still highly value. foobar2000 is an advanced audio player that is highly customizable, best suited for power users.
- Supported Formats: MP3, MPC, AAC, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, ALAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CD, Speex, Opus, and more.
- You get enhanced sound with a remarkable 18 band equalizer.
- It supports Gapless playback, ReplayGain, ASIO, and WASAPI output.
- The advanced tagging tool makes light work of cleaning up a messy library.
- It has an extensive library management suite. A CD Ripper and a Quick Convert tool with various presets and options work well.
- foobar2000 has powerful theming support with a variety of skins available.
- It has customizable keyboard shortcuts and can erase duplicated tracks.
- Includes a DSP manager, supports Last.fm scrobbling, and integration with Apple devices.
- It has over a hundred components/add-ons available to expand the functionality of the application further.
- Don’t let the simple interface of foobar2000 fool you. Underneath is a powerful music player & manager that can be tweaked and tuned to suit your needs.
- One needs a fair amount of time to get it up and running. It isn’t easy to navigate if you are a beginner.
- Some of its plugins are outdated.
Many of you use the Spotify streaming service on your smartphones. However, you might not know about the Spotify desktop application that can not only stream millions of songs but also plays music saved on your hard drive.
- Browse and play hundreds of ready-made playlists in every genre and mood.
- You can organize your music in customizable playlists and share them with friends.
- Spotify is the largest social network music service. You can go through the music collections of friends, artists, and celebrities.
- Import your Windows Media Player Library or your iTunes library with ease.
- You can view the lyrics of the song being played and follow the artist/band.
- With Spotify, you get access to some of the exclusive music and podcasts that are not available anywhere else.
- It offers Gapless playback and Cross-fader options. Besides, it’s easy to manage and sync music on your iPod, iPhone, or Android.
- Supports third-party apps that can extend the functionality of Spotify.
- It is an excellent way to discover new music too.
- You’ll have to put up with ads in the free version.
- It’s not available in some countries.
1. iTunes – From the stables of Apple, iTunes is a high-quality audio and video player. It is also home to Apple Music, where you can listen to millions of songs. iTunes syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.
2. MediaMonkey – It is an excellent choice for serious music collectors who have thousands of songs on their hard drive. The player has a smart auto-tagging system that updates tracks with missing metadata and intuitively organizes them.
3. XMPlay – Launched in the year 1998, XMPlay is a lightweight yet powerful audio player for Windows PC. It is known for its excellent sound quality and support for various audio codecs.
4. Winamp – You knew it was going to be part of this list. Despite being around for almost two decades now, this old horse is still the best free music player for Windows. Packed full of features, Winamp remains a people’s favorite.
5. Groove Music – This is the default music player app that comes pre-installed on all Windows 10 PCs. The app has a minimalist design and supports all the major audio formats.
Crank It Up
The best thing you can do when looking for a good music player is to try out a few and see which one you settle on.
Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below! And if you think we missed a great music app, please let us know!